Gas Safety Certificates / Landlord Certificates

In 1998 under Gas safety regulations it became a legal requirement that any landlord who supplies gas appliances in tenanted accommodation must get them checked and listed in a document call a 'Gas Safety Certificate'. This is a requirement that has to be undertaken very 12 months. Failure to get a safety certificate could result in a hefty fine or even imprisonment. All gas based appliances are included in the report, including gas fires, cookers and hobs, gas water heaters and boilers. Of course all safety checks and any maintenance or repairs must be carried out by a GAS SAFE REGISTERED ENGINEER, formerly CORGI.

What will be tested?

There are a number of procedures that must be strictly followed when conducting a Landlord's Gas Certificate, there are outlined below.

  • Check appliance for gas tightness( No gas leaks)
  • Check standing and working pressure
  • Check for satisfactory provision for ventilation
  • Check burner pressure and gas rate
  • Test Flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion
  • Check operation of flame failure devices
  • Check tightness test for full system
  • Check overall condition and investigate for any evidence of unsafe operation including electrical Bonding.
  • Combustion performance Analyse appliance and provide printed report
  • Visually inspect Gas hob and cooker(if applicable)

Please note that if gas fires are present an additional £20 charge per appliance will be added to test these as part of the safety check.

As a landlord the law requires you to:

  • Ensure all pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained and are in a safe condition
  • Ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out on each and every appliance and/or flue that you provide for tenants' use
  • Ensure that any repairs, servicing, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Keep a record of each safety check for a minimum of 2 years
  • Issue a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate to an existing tenant within 28 days after the check has been carried out or to any new tenants when they move in.
  • All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.

As a tenant you have the right to view a landlord's gas certificate for the property that you are in, if your landlord fails to provide one within a reasonable time you must report them to Gas Safe which is run by the Health and Safety Executive.

For more information go to


All general plumbing work comes complete with a workmanship guarantee. Call us for details.

Contact Dan Wood Plumbing

Call us on 07834 03 99 01 or email

Gas Safety

Landlord Certificate (CP12)

Gas Safety Certificate

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

HSE strongly recommends the use of CO alarms as one useful precaution to give tenants advance warning of CO in the property.

Importantly alarms should not be regarded as a replacement for regular maintenance and safety checks.

Carbon Monoxide alarms cost between £20-£30 and can be purchased and fitted by Dan Wood Plumbing.

Let's talk gas safety

Gas Safe Register is the only official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on your gas cooker, boiler and fire and is there to help protect you from unsafe gas work.

You might remember it used to be known as CORGI.

It’s important to make sure all of your gas appliances are working safely and correctly and to have them checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry an ID card so they can show you they are Gas Safe registered when they turn up at your front door – if they don’t show you then don’t be afraid to ask to see it.

Call the free Gas Safe Register helpline on 0800 408 5500 and they can help you find a local Gas Safe registered engineer and tell you if they’re qualified for the type of work you need them to do.

Alternatively visit